Monday, June 15, 2015

Claire's Class Blog #1

In my 4 days here, I have probably spent a total of 10 hours sitting at restaurants. Eating and meals are very leisurely, as if there are more than 24 hours in a day. It is not because the wait staff is slow, or takes a while to accomplish things. You normally seat yourself and if not, you are seated right away. The ordering process almost seems a little hasty. They take your drink orders as you’re sitting down and your food orders soon after. The majority of time spent waiting is after the meal has been served and is finished. I realized this after the first couple of times I sat waiting for 30 minutes after the food had been cleared. You have to ask for the check. However, the wait of the customer doesn’t feel as if you’ve been ignored and rejected. The distance feels respectful, like the wait staff is on your agenda, and not the other way around. Whoever I go out to eat with, we always end up chatting a lot during and especially after the meal. And during that time I have never been bothered by asking if I want a refill or asking if I want the check. They do walk by and look to see if you need anything, but rarely do they come to the table to interrupt and ask if you need or want something else. Since being here, I have had to learn how to relax a little while I am out to eat. I don’t always need to be antsy or on the go like I’m used to. I have noticed this not only with me but also by observing natives that come to eat near us. They are never in a hurry, and they could sit there for hours talking, or reading by themselves and never be in a rush to eat and get out. They are not in any hurry, and neither should I.
(Just in case I ever meet someone named FlĂĽgelflitzer, I can share my Coke Zero with them).

No comments:

Post a Comment