Sunday, June 21, 2015

Scale Model of Sachsenhausen



18-6-15
            I was anxious to witness the object Professor Chaouli described before our trip to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp.  The object was in one of the two remaining Jewish barracks of the former Nazi concentration camp.  I walked up to the display of the object and found that it was a scale model of the camp facilities and its perimeter.  I was astonished to find how similar his scale model was to the one by the information center.  The triangular shape of the model seemed to be identical to the one I had seen upon arrival, and the thin pieces of wood (like Popsicle sticks) he used for fences were placed with such precision.  I snapped a quick photo and then began looking at the object.  I was struck by all of the color, especially green.  Actually, green seemed to be the color that dominated the entire scale model except the red of the guard towers and tan that represented the soil.  The roofs of the barracks and all the vegetation surrounding the facility, (which was made from foam from a sofa or bed and dotted with paint), were green. I was aware that the artist had been a prisoner at the camp, so I was confused as to why he would represent such an eerie and dreadful place in this way.  In fact, his model actually reminded me of a painting of my family farm back home, which brings to mind warm and pleasant feelings. On the train ride back to the hotel, I was thinking of the green color that dominated the model. The color green and vegetation may symbolize life. Why would the artist use this color that represents life to portray a place that is synonymous with death? The only explanation I could come up with is that even though Sachsenhausen was a place of misery and death, plenty of life was still within and beyond its walls.  This was a way for the artist to say I persevered, I survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment