Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Food Discovery

In Berlin I have noticed that there are very few uniquely German foods to eat here. Yes the potato is an important item, often being the main portion of a meal with other vegetables or meats as an accompaniment. Also, probably more common than potatoes are the Döner and the Currywurst. These can be found all around town in various places. These two options seem to be the quintessential food to try when in Berlin. 
This is your run of the mill Döner. None are bad, some are just better.
Walking along the streets of Berlin gives you a lot of time to survey the small shops and food places that are on the ground floor of all the buildings.  On my walks I have seen Indian restaurants, Thai restaurants, a bunch of Italian places, as well as hamburger places and hot dog places. The interesting thing about these other cultural restaurants is how authentic their cuisine is.  I have an Indian friend at home who has informed me very specifically about the food that they eat regularly. What I and the rest of our group ordered at the Indian restaurant was very accurate to what my friend would have at home. I also have a friend who is from Thailand, and he would have been pleased with the dish that they Thai restaurant brought out to us.
Pad Thai dish with pork. This was Brody's and my third meal. Italian, Indian, and Thai. In that order.
I have yet to find a specifically German restaurant here. I may just not be realizing I'm in one. I've discussed the issue with Herr Chaouli and have been informed that if I were to ask for one, people would be stumped on two levels. The first being that they don't know where one is and secondly that why am I searching for one. So although I haven't found something yet I will continue to search and observe. Over next few days, a German restaurant will be a top priority for me to stumble across. 
Certainly I can find one spot in this big, beautiful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment