Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Forst Spandau (Spandau Forest)


Wild boars can be dangerous. Actual attacks on humans are rare, but can be serious, resulting in multiple penetrating injuries to the lower part of the body. --Wikipedia


A wild boar in Spandau Forest.

Whoops! I guess Mark Twain was right when he wrote: "All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure."

Had I read the above Wikipedia article before setting out on my Sunday run through Spandau Forest, I may have climbed a tree when a young wild boar came up to meet me, but instead, my ignorance gave me the chance to have an up close encounter with an adorable, and remarkably friendly, wild animal.

A farmer with his pigs.
About 9km into my run, I stopped to snack on a Cliff Bar. I unwrapped the bar, put the wrapper back in my bag, and started eating. Someone else nearby was hungry, and decided to see if I was willing to share. I broke him off a piece of the bar and he gobbled it up.

I did not know pigs liked oatmeal raisin. I gave him a few more bites, waved goodbye, and continued on my run. I was hoping we'd be running pals, but he had business in the west and I was headed east. That's life.

I continued on for a few more kilometers and found a farmer with his pigs. He was petrified (punny?), but that did not stop me from taking a selfie.

11km in and out of breath.
A large portion of the Berlin Wall ran through this forest, and there's a trail dedicated to the path, along with markers for where folks were murdered as they tried to cross over from one side to the other. I need to look into this more, and may run the Wall trail before I'm done here.

At the end, I've added a few more pictures from the forest. It's a gorgeous spot, and you're as close to nature as I've found in a city of this size.  The Germans have an interesting way of living with nature – there's a respect for the environment around and within the city, and that's quite appealing.

I'll be going back to Spandau and the nearby Tegeler Forst for some more excursions.






----

Some images from Spandau Forest


Part of the forest borders a small lake / river

Looking out on the field where part of the Berlin Wall used to be.

There are many small footpaths through the woods.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. I've never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, as I was riding my bike to meet the group at the Reichstag, a fox crossed my path and scampered into the Tiergarten. Smack in the middle of the city. There is now all kinds of wildlife in Berlin.

    ReplyDelete