Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Schokolade in Berlin

Chocolate is one of the first foods that I was eager to try in Europe. The chocolate that I’ve had here is creamier and not so sweet and sugary as chocolate in America. Before this trip, I had never been to Europe and the only European chocolate I had were brands that can be found in the United States. These brands, such as Godiva and Lindt, are usually considered more expensive, which makes it seem like European chocolate is higher quality. All the stores that sell food that I have encountered have a wide selection of different types of chocolate. I also tried chocolate ice cream in Germany, which had the same differences as regular chocolate; it was richer and had a deeper flavor. I have noticed places that serve ice cream in Germany seem very common. I even tried Italian ice cream here in Berlin.
When I saw the displays of chocolate in the Kaufhaus des Westens, I saw that Germans have a lot more variety and experimentation with chocolate. This was probably a wider selection than is usually found, but it was still interesting all the ways in which the chocolate was presented; it was mixed with fruits, nuts, and alcohol, and made into shapes of animals such as cats and dogs. There was far more chocolate in the store than any other type of candy. Even small convenience stores have the brands Milka and Ritter in many different varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment